Monday, June 21, 2010

Good and Bad Ideas

I've had each, definitely more in the latter category.  But my decision to go hiking (no, backpacking with a pack that must have weighed almost 40 lbs), by myself in the Qadisha Valley in Lebanon was definitely some of both.  I had a wonderful time, but if it had not been for the kindness and hospitality of villagers, strangers, and even a few nuns, I would have been in serious trouble.  More on that later, accompanied by pictures.

I'm back in Beirut now, checking into my dorm a few days early. I am starting to have a good mental map of the city, and surprised to find that people in Beirut speak much less English than those in villages and cities in the north.

Mental image of the day: most graffiti in Beirut is illegible Arabic, when it is in English the message is simple: 'Free Palestine'.  But as I was walking through a side street this morning, I saw something different: 'Rich parents for all'.  As before, more on this to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment