Friday, August 13, 2010

I was so ready to go...

And then I wasn't.  I started experiencing pain in my lower right abdomen on Monday afternoon but ignored it.  It was still there on Tuesday morning and not getting any better, so I took advantage of the good medical facilities here in Beirut before my planned departure for Syria on that same day.  In my mind, I was going to walk into the American University Hospital (AUH), be called a hypochondriac and sent on my way.  How wrong I was.

After blood tests and a CT Scan I was told I needed surgery.  My operation was around 8 on Tuesday night, and it turned out to be much more complicated than they thought (you don't want to now the details, but what was supposed to be 7-10 minutes took two hours and the word perforated was involved).  The complications have led to a much longer hospital stay (5 days instead of 2), so I'll be here at AUH until Saturday. Tortuously watching little bits of food on TV and longing for something to be in my stomach besides sips of water, which is all I'm allowed for the moment.

Don't you wish you were me?

Honestly though, this is a great hospital and they're taking good care of me.  I'm going back to my dorm tomorrow (hopefully) and will update more often from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment