Monday, August 2, 2010

Musee Nacional

Also known as the National Museum, I went about a week ago to see the sights, and this is what I found.

Lots of mosaics:


But I saw a lot of those in Tunisia.  Lots and lots and lots.  The sculptures were a highlight, all very well preserved especially considering the conditions the National Museum has existed through.  Beautiful detail on a column:


The most memorable parts of the museum were it's idiosyncrasies.  I've seen lots of busts and sarcophagi, but I've never seen so many hippopotamuses (or hippopotami, depending on your preference):


There were also a few sculptures that seemed extremely reminiscent of the Statue of Liberty, which makes sense (as I found out after using the google) because it is based on Libertas, the Roman goddess of freedom.



A small, unassuming stone tablet:


That gives someone named Zalaya permission to take a piece of his kingdom, just a casual note:


Some more details, a lovely column very dramatically lit:


Restoration work, happening right on the floor of the musuem:


All in all, it was a great afternoon.  I highly recommend the museum to anyone looking to visit Lebanon:

No comments:

Post a Comment