Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Trip Downtown

My friend E and I (new E to the blog! E's a big letter in my life here apparently) walked downtown a few days ago and I thought I'd pass along a few of the sites that I don't think I've mentioned  before.  The Place de l'etoile, better known to me as Beirut's clock tower, has corporate sponsorship (click to enlarge if you can't see the Rolex logo):


Downtown Beirut is absolutely stunning, and I kind of wish I'd spent more time there.  Except than I remember why I haven't, the place is crawling with tourists and a place to walk around and shop, not chill.  A better view of the area around the clock tower, apparently called Nejmeh Square.  The Lebanese Parliamentary building abuts the square, and it's a great area to walk around in (no cars).

The reason E and I walked downtown was to visit the Virgin Megastore, which I didn't take any pictures of.  Perhaps I should have? A plaque in the store's elevator:


Honestly, it looked like the rest of the buildings in the downtown area to me (not that they're not beautiful).  If you're thinking, f*&@ you Anna, I have no idea what that means, too bad.

Alright, I've had pity on you. I went back through my old pictures and found some of the store in a shot when I was trying to get the soccer ball patterned dome of the building behind it. 

 

That's all for now, I need to go to sleep.

Coming up: a follow up with my surgeon, AUB museum, and possibly a rock concert.  I will blog about only two of those.   Guess which one will be omitted? (this blogger acknowledges the existence of a phenomenon known as tmi)

No comments:

Post a Comment