Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baalbek: The Sun City

I might be saying this about everything on this blog, but my trip to the Roman ruins of Baalbek was truly a highlight of my time here in Lebanon.  The ruins are massive, and you can walk, run, and climb all over them.  Some members of our group perched themselves on an old altar in the middle of the Great Court:


We were at Baalbek late in the afternoon (that's why all my pictures are a bit washed out), the last stop of a busy day, but this was all forgotten as I wandered around the ruins of what used to be a massive temple and city in the Roman empire.  This isn't a history blog, so if you'd like more information about Baalbek (and you should), head on over to Wikipedia.

Considering the scale of the building at Baalbek, the details are stunning,


An eagle, the symbol of the Roman Empire, on the keystone of the arch in the Temple of Bacchus:


Some architectural features I need on my house, the gutter spouts were lions mouths:




Lots (and lots and lots) of columns:

 

Looking up the walls of the Great Court (the central courtyard):


Every summer, Baalbek hosts the Baalbeck International Festival, and they were preparing for an orchestra concert when I was there:


Another attraction/detraction, depending on your opinion of the subject, was the Hezbollah museum which we passed by on our way out:

No comments:

Post a Comment