Monday, July 19, 2010

Deir al-Qamar

The first stop on my trip last weekend, Deir al-Qamar, was short and sweet.  Our bus stopped in the town square and we had about thirty minutes to check out the Fakhreddine mosque and the souk next to it.  Truth be told, there wasn't that much to see in the immediate area, but I did get a few good pictures.

The Fakhreddine mosque, built in 1493 (it is just me or is your first thought that's exactly a year after Columbus sailed to America?), behind the fountain in the town square:


Across the street from the town square was the house of a well known Lebanese family from the area.  I don't remember the name of the family, but I do remember that the lions on the facade were far more intimidating than the men standing in the entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment