Sunday, July 11, 2010

Yes, fear of heights and all, that's me

One of the highlights of my weekend was the rock climbing I did on Saturday with my roommate, E, and our friend E.  We drove up north to Kfardebian, about an hour outside Beirut to a nice valley with a natural stone bridge and lots of routes all over its walls.  Everything here is beautiful, and this valley was no exception:


The final activity of the day was rappelling down from that bridge onto the valley floor below.  It was really high (about 100 feet), and I didn't think I could make myself do it.  But I did.  Eventually.

Don't believe?  I probably wouldn't either, here's the proof:



My favorite part of that picture is my roommate E peering over the rock above.  The trickiest part of the rappell was the transition between having your feet on the rock to the open space below the bridge, but with a little guidance I got through it:


As I descended onto the valley floor, I could see far into the valley beyond the stone bridge and watched as the sheep we saw earlier in the day settled under the stone bridge for the night.  Here they are from earlier in the day crossing over into the valley:


It's definitely not something I expected to see, but I love the clash of millennia between our group of rock climbers and the sheep and their shepherds.  And, no, I don't have any pictures of the sheep as I descended, my hands were a little busy.

More on the day later, but here's some more info on the rock bridge if you care to take a gander:

No comments:

Post a Comment